St. Inigoe's Manor

Item

Title

St. Inigoe's Manor

Description

Situated 12 miles from what is now Point Lookout where the Potomac River meets the Chesapeake Bay on the Western Shore, St. Inigoe's Manor was the first plantation established by Jesuits in Maryland. Comprised of 2,000 acres, the plantation was situated, like Newtown and St. Thomas's Manor, on land with a poor drainage, so the Jesuits could only farm the land near the banks of the waterways unless they invested in building a system of drainage ditches. Thus, most of the more interior land remained woodland. There the Jesuits, their indentured servants, and eventually their enslaved people, farmed wheat, and some corn and tobacco. The position of the estate directly on the water made the estate accessible by boat for easy transportation of supplies and export of grain and tobacco. This ideal situation for transportation also made the plantation vulnerable to intrusion. During the war of 1812, the British came ashore and right up into the manor house in search of provisions and plunder.

(Zwinge, Joseph. "The Jesuit Farms in Maryland. Facts and Anecdotes." Woodstock Letters XXXIX, no. 3 (1910): 377-382.)

Date

1640

Item sets

Site pages

Linked resources

Filter by property

Employed By
Title Alternate label Class
Woman Owner Agent
homeLocation
Title Alternate label Class
Free Nacy Home Location Agent
Charles Home Location Agent
Ann Home Location Agent
Augustin Home Location Agent
Benedict Home Location Agent
Bernard Home Location Agent
Betty Home Location Agent
Biba Home Location Agent
Bridget Home Location Agent
Caroline Home Location Agent
Charles Home Location Agent
Charlotte Home Location Agent
Dick Home Location Agent
Dorsey Home Location Agent
Ellen Amanda Home Location Agent
Harry Home Location Agent
Harry Home Location Agent
Henny Home Location Agent
Henny Home Location Agent
Ignatius Home Location Agent
Ignatius Home Location Agent
Infant Home Location Agent
Infant Home Location Agent
Jenny Home Location Agent